Test Automation Developer
Lack of energy access in sub-Saharan Africa is a significant problem, with more than 600 million people currently without mains electricity supply. In Rwanda, 9.5 million people or 81% of the population cannot access mains electricity, which has a negative impact on quality of life and limits people’s chances of achieving economic prosperity.
BBOXX is helping to address this issue by providing off-grid communities in developing countries with affordable energy solutions. BBOXX customers typically use a Pay-As-You-Go payment method, which enables very low income customers access to electricity at home that they would otherwise not be able to afford. To date BBOXX has installed more than 150,000 systems and provided around 750,000 people with access to energy.
Check out our impact here
Title: Test Automation Developer
Reports to: Product Development Lead
Location: Kigali, Chiswick, London
This is a new role within the Hardware Product Development team at BBOXX. As we introduce new products to our product category and scale our productions to higher volumes we have an increasing need for a dedicated test automation developer/engineer.
The purpose of this role is to own and maintain the suite of tools we develop to enforce the release of only qualified products to our customers – whether off the production line or out of our repair centres. The tools range from simple desktop applications with a single test purpose to complex automated test programs with user-configurable options. You will be a key driver in ensuring we deliver best in class products to our customers.
About the role
- Develop desktop applications to allow automated testing of hardware products and efficiently integrate these tools with our backend systems to allow remote diagnostics, data analytics and reporting
- Support and maintain existing tools to minimise delays in other areas of the business, such as the manufacturing line or repair and distribution centres
- Work with the design team to produce applications with a common design language
- Take ownership over the accessibility and quality of tools released and drive a commitment to quality
- Write clean and well-structured code which can easily be shared and picked up by others
- Work closely with the firmware development team to optimise test automation
- Get involved in new project developments, laying out requirements for optimal test procedures (design for test)
- Develop scripts to monitor and report on the performance of products
3+ years working experience in a scripting language (Python is preferred)
Proven experience developing test scripts and test strategies for hardware products
Understanding of serial communications and data buses
Experience in creating simple but robust GUI desktop applications, in any language
Experience with Git version control or similar
Willingness to travel to support the remote users
Strong communication skills (oral and written) and ability to gain buy in from stakeholders
Desirable (but not essential)
2+ years’ experience in an embedded systems or software developer role
Experience in Embedded C development
Familiarity with electronics circuits and concepts.
An understanding of electronics automated test equipment (i.e. bed of nails)
Experience working with single-board computers (i.e. Raspberry Pi)
USB driver and BT comms development
Experience in one or more of the following areas:
Python GUI tools (such as pyQt, pySide or Tkinter)
Based in Chiswick, London
Competitive salary based on experience.
Flexible working hours.
Free breakfasts on Monday morning plus fresh fruit, hot drinks and biscuits every day :)
Regular socials - BBOXX organises monthly social events which can be proposed by anyone on the team. This could be anything from a picnic in the park to laser tag or the regular pub quiz.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.