Who we are
BBOXX is a UK based venture-backed company providing an affordable, upgradeable solar solution to meet off-grid customers’ energy needs. We are fully vertically integrated, controlling every part of our customer experience. Our market leading products and appliances coupled with our SMART Solar platform bring machine-learning and customer experience optimisation to rural Africa. Our ground-breaking financing structure has brought off-grid solar into the World’s financial markets. Whilst our human centred design approach to our retail business ensures that the BBOXX ecosystem is poised to massively scale during 2017. With over 100,000 systems deployed so far, 550+ staff across 5 offices in China, UK and East Africa are waking up every morning to work with BBOXX to electrify 20 million people by 2020. We invite you to join us on this journey to electrify the off-grid world!
The business context
We are pioneers in a frontier market, so we need data to learn quickly. Information about the performance of the business needs to be easy to access so that we can make the right strategic decisions to meet our target of electrifying 4 million households by 2020. Joining up data from disparate sources (call records, payments and device telemetry) will also give us a rare insight into our customers’ behaviour that will help us to serve them better.
You are a Python/Odoo developer with a real passion for data and a belief in BBOXX’s mission. You will be a key member of our growing Data & Customer Insight Team. You work well in a team and take pride in readable, well-designed and well-tested software.
As a Python/Odoo Developer on our team, your daily work may involve:
- Extracting data efficiently from web APIs and SQL databases.
- Profiling raw data to refine user requirements.
- Accurately transforming and carefully cleaning data using Python and pandas.
- Monitoring and optimising the ETL pipelines, using tools like Airflow and Celery.
- Making new tables and writing triggers in PL/SQL.
- Developing a web API to serve data to our web and mobile app frontends.
- Staying up to date with the latest tech innovations and evaluate any that may improve our system.
You should have all of:
- 2+ years’ software development experience with Python/Odoo
- Experience with data parsing and manipulation (preferably pandas).
- Experience developing a web API.
- Experience with unit testing.
- Experience using version control tools to develop a collaborative project.
- Experience working in an Agile software development team.
And ideally some of:
- Experience setting up and managing AWS services (particularly EC2, RDS and S3).
- Experience developing or using a Data Warehouse.
- Experience with a workflow management tool (e.g. Airflow or Luigi).
Competitive salary based on experience.