Junior Legal Counsel
Lack of energy access in sub-Saharan Africa is a significant problem, with more than 600 million people currently without mains electricity supply. In Rwanda, 9.5 million people or 81% of the population cannot access mains electricity, which has a negative impact on quality of life and limits people’s chances of achieving economic prosperity.
BBOXX is helping to address this issue by providing off-grid communities in developing countries with affordable energy solutions. BBOXX customers typically use a Pay-As-You-Go payment method, which enables very low-income customers access to electricity at home that they would otherwise not be able to afford. To date BBOXX has installed more than 150,000 systems and provided around 750,000 people with access to energy.
Check out our impact here
Title: Legal Counsel
Reporting to: General Counsel
Location: Chiswick, London
The Legal Counsel will join a new and growing team providing a comprehensive in-house legal support function to the Head Office Executive Group. As the Company expands into new markets a full range of legal matters are required. BBOXX currently operates in the UK and in Africa (Rwanda, Kenya, DRC and Togo principally but with joint ventures in Senegal, Guinea, Mali) and beyond. BBOXX also sells Solar Home Systems equipment to many other countries around the globe.
About the role
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating various types of contract from SPA’s, JVA’s to Distribution Agreements and other commercial contracts.
- Drafting Shareholder and Board documentation - Notices, Resolutions and Minutes.
- Setting up a contract template library and assisting in standardising legal process documentation.
- Assisting in setting up a deal documentation database
- Support the General Counsel with compliance related issues (KYC, AML, ABC)
- Assisting with structuring of transactions and liaising with outside lawyers and other consultants
- Possibility of international travel to our growing global operations
Degree and Legal qualification required
0-3 years post qualified experience
Experience of working in house or in a law firm wanting to move across to in-house
French speaker an advantage but not essential
Microsoft Office/Word essentialSelf-starter, motivated and willing to roll sleeves up in a friendly but hard-working environment
Based in Chiswick, London
Competitive salary based on experience
Free breakfasts on Monday morning plus fresh fruit, hot drinks and biscuits every day :)
Regular socials - BBOXX organises monthly social events which can be proposed by anyone on the team. This could be anything from a picnic in the park to laser tag or the regular pub quiz.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.